Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"Do as I have done for you."



Every night before I climb into my mosquito net covered bed, I sit down on my floor and wash my feet. They are always absolutely COVERED in red African dirt. As I sit on the floor scrubbing away, I am always reminded, by the Lord, of the story in John 13 of Jesus washing His disciples feet before the Passover Feast.
In America, my feet never really ever got dirty in relation to how they look at the end of the day here in Africa. I looked at John 13 again tonight and was blown away again by the beautiful picture it is meant to represent. PICTURE THIS with me:

“Having loved His own who were in the world, He now showed them the full extent of His love… He got up from the meal, took off His outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash His disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around Him…When He had finished washing their feet, He put on His clothes and returned to His place. ‘Do you understand what I have done for you?’ He asked them. ‘You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I Am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.’” – John 13: 1, 4-5, 12-15

It is one thing for me to wash my own feet. It is another thing for the Lord of the Universe, the King of Kings, GOD ALMIGHTY, the Creator of my heart, to fall to His knees, pick up my dirty African feet- and wipe them perfectly CLEAN.
Christ’s sacrifice on the cross was the ultimate act of service, selflessness, and humility… it was “the full extent of His love.” His kneeling down and washing my feet clean represents Him humbling Himself to death, even death on a cross, in order to wash my heart clean.

BUT IT DOESN’T END THERE. Yes, my sinful, dirty heart has been paid for; it has been washed clean, praise God! BUT A NATURAL RESPONSE FOLLOWS. And if it hasn’t- IT NEEDS TO- and I encourage you to ask the Lord to reveal the depths of the sin in your heart so that the depths of His love can begin to be understood. And it is when you begin to understand the depths of His love that His calling to serve becomes crystal clear. Just as Christ set an example for me by serving me despite the ways I fail Him everyday, He calls us to do the same for one another. He calls us to fall to our knees in humility, to get our hands dirty by meeting people where they are, to sacrifice our plans/time/lives for HIS, to become uncomfortable for the sake of others’ comfort, and to serve and love “the least of these.” And the best part is, it is not solely a command- it is a gift. As we love others, we in turn, love Him- and what a joy it is to serve the One who gave IT ALL.

As the Lord is teaching me here in Uganda, my challenge for you is this: Are you washing others’ feet, or just your own? Because the Lord reminds me everyday as I wash my own feet before getting into bed that symbolically- His sons and daughters that do not yet know Him can not possibly see His sacrifice reflected as I wash my own feet- but as I choose to do the unexpected (in the worlds’ eyes) and the expected (in my Saviors’ eyes) and I fall to my knees to love my neighbor, Jesus tells us later in John 13 verses 34-35 that, BY THIS all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

He must become greater; I must become less [John 3:30],
Em

p.s. More Africa stories and snapshots to follow tomorrow! This was just really on my heart tonight! Love you all!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment