Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Country, New Home.


Hello friends and family! Wow! What a whirlwind of the past few days. I have been in Uganda now for three full days- and yet at times it feels like three years! I know that I am going to struggle to put everything that I am feeling and experiencing in words- there are just some things in my heart that I know I will not ever be able to explain and share with you, but I hope that these snapshots of the past few days give you a glimpse of my new home here in Gulu!

First things first! I flew into Entebbe from London. The next morning we had a driver drive us to Kampala to pick up a few things and then we made our trek to Gulu! It was about a 5-hour drive on bumpy, red African roads… but boy was it beautiful. I had five hours to soak in so much of Uganda. There was only ONE ROAD that led from Kampala to Gulu, and if you look at a map- you’ll see we drove most of the length of the country! During the drive we crossed over the Nile, dodged baboons and potholes, and finally arrived in Gulu! I live Zion's "guest house" compound with a Zion staff worker and her 3 kids.

One of my housemates- Stephen! He is so darn cute and has the best smile!

Some of the highlights/lessons from the past 3 days:
1) How time works: I might as well just take off my watch :) Things start and end here when they want to. It is such a refreshing change of pace… there is no rush.

2) Boda rides: The majority of my transportation here happens on these vehicles called boda bodas! They are basically glorified dirt bikes. We hop on the back of one and tell them where we need to go- they take us- and then we hop off and pay them.
     
Dowtown Gulu! Bodas everywhere! 

    3) THE STARS. Holy cow. Those of you who know me well know that I am in awe of the stars and stop everything I am doing just to gaze at them in America… but here in Uganda- where electricity/power is rare- it is the most beautiful view of them I have ever seen!
   
   4) The simplicity of the hospitals: I had the opportunity to visit one of Zion’s staff who was receiving care at a local hospital here…..this is again one of those things that is very hard to explain. Most of you know that I am a nursing major and want to serve (eventually) overseas medically- God willing- at some point…. This is one of those moments where you know what to “expect” but it doesn’t hit you until you are there…. Upon arriving there were hundreds of people waiting outside the different buildings with what seemed like the essentials to sustain themselves for days or weeks. After talking with the woman we had visited, she explained that those people were either patients or relatives waiting to be seen! WAITING TO BE SEEN. She explained to me that she slept on a mat outside (after suffering from a severe complication) before being seen. Walking into the hospital you see about 10 metal rail beds in one room- ONE ROOM. In America you hear nurses complaining all the time about there being 2 patients in one room. Our Zion friend then mentioned that in the pediatric ward there has been up to six children in ONE BED. ONE BED! It was the little things noticed- like how all the nurses only used one glove (due to not having enough to cover both hands- we use them without thinking as we work in the US); how the IV poles had no pumps/bags- just a filled bottle hung on a pole; how the doctors would see EVERY patient before discharging anyone---- PRIORITIES; how there was only 1 doctor for every ward (approximately 50 patients); how RESPECTED the student nurses were- they had such authority- compared to the “bottom of the totem pole” feel in America. It works for sure… but not enough patients can be seen per day. My heart is breaking and desires so deeply for the developed worlds’ health care expertise to be SPREAD OUT. I can’t fully describe what my heart feels like.

   5)Visiting the Rescue Home: we stopped by the Girls’ Rescue Home briefly after dropping all of our bags off. It was late, probably 8pm, so the girls couldn’t see who had come in the gate- but it didn’t matter. All 17 of them took off in a full sprint yelling “Auntie! Auntie!” (What they affectionately call those who are older and look after them) and covered us in hugs. JOY flooded through me. These girls did not know me at all, I didn’t do anything to “deserve” their affection, and yet they LOVE so deeply. What a beautiful picture of Christ’s love. I can’t wait to get to know them all more intimately!

  6) We went to a little get together Saturday night of some of Brittany’s friends (an American friend-who I am working with while I am here- who has lived here for a few months). This get together was composed of both white and Ugandan “20-somethings” who were all here in Uganda for similar passions. Some of the organizations represented among us were- International Justice Mission of Gulu , INVISIBLE CHILDREN, Zion Project (us!), the UN, Crochet Kids, Every Child Ministries, and a couple more! All of us were here because our hearts broke for very similar things. It was cool to be able to talk with others who have been living here for years who were also my age or a little older. Some of those represented by Invisible Children were actual school scholarship recipients who used to be night commuters when the LRA was terrorizing Uganda- and one of them I had already met because he was the one who came to visit the University of Delaware during the Invisible Children Movie Screening Tour! SERIOUSLY?!? Such a small world. 

  7) Church here in Gulu: SO REFRESHING. I felt so welcomed and part of their family immediately. Some of the worship was in the native language and some was in English! They LOVE to DANCE! Almost everyone in the room (about 20 adults and 40 kids) danced as they sang. It was amazing- the joy present seemed to overflow and no one could contain it- THEY HAD TO MOVE! It makes PERFECT sense! A little girl snuck in between my friend Hailey and I and reached up and grabbed my hand… she stayed there the whole time until they left for their Sunday school classes. 

  8) My first experience with local Ugandan food- rice, beans, and sweet potato all locally grown! YUM YUM YUM! I loved it! 

   9) My first experience at a Ugandan market! 

A lot of people have been asking me if I feel safe here. Yes, I absolutely on the whole feel safe… but of course there are times when I really am on my guard and am super nervous and anxious. BUT my God has already gone before me on every dirt road, boda ride, and in every mud hut and compound… and I trust Him. I am learning so much about what it REALLY means to trust Him.

Most of the time I find living life here 100% natural. I am totally at peace and loving it! And then at times I become overwhelmed because things are just so different and I feel like I am racing to catch up all the time, OR I am finding myself already becoming attached…

You see I have a little more than 3 weeks left now. And the thing is- I am REALLY experiencing Uganda. I am not staying in a Westernized house removed from the village. I am living life here in the village outside downtown Gulu. I am getting to know and investing in the same people day after day. I am totally immersed in the culture. I’m living amongst and with the Acholi and Congolese people- and I am finding my heart becoming so attached ALREADY.  My heart hurts because I know it ends in a little over 3 weeks, at least for a while- so what do I do? Do I try to become not attached?


Our next door neighbors! 
I really don’t think that is what the Lord wants at all. I think He wants me to love and to love deeply the people and culture here with my whole heart… that’s what Jesus would do even when He was only in a town for a few days or weeks at a time. I believe He wants me to take one day at a time. I think He wants me to trust Him more with my heart (I’ve always been really good at guarding it- a little too good).

That is all I have time for for now, but here is a quick summary:
-       I love it here! God is good- everywhere and all the time. I'm taking one day at a time.

****ALSO, my brother just informed me through email that the Ravens (MY BOYS!) beat the Broncos?!?!?!? I was freaking out all the way over here in Africa when I read the news. It’s the little things!   

Tomorrow starts my first “work week” at Zion Project! Woo Hoo!
Until next time!

Arms high and heart abandoned- no matter the circumstances,
Em

4 comments:

  1. love you em...wow...just...wow....absorb every moment...praying for you daily...love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em...AWESOME....thanks so much for the great update! don't worry too much about keeping us too informed. Invest in THEM! as i know you are.... We love you. Great pics... get any video of church...??? please do... love
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em - wow - i feel like i'm there, or at least like i really want to be
    there!. you are such a great writer, and totally convey your belief in and trust in and love for God and the people you're reaching. God is totally using you and you are exactly where you need to be loving exactly how you need to love! Praying for you! Love - Mrs. Shine

    ReplyDelete